Monday, March 23, 2009

It's a HOE DOWN!!!!!


Wow. So someone forgot to tell me that farming is hard work. I feel somewhat deceived by seemingly harmless children's songs like "The Farmer in the Dell". They make farming sound like fun! I'll let you in on a little secret that Mother Goose apparently plotted to keep from us: there is no 'hi-ho the derry-o'. There are, however, plenty of WEEDS on the farm - as in "E-I-E-I-OH MY goodness, look at all them weeds!"

So we went down to the Williamson Plantation on Saturday to see how things were doing. Other than the aforementioned weeds, it appeared that everything we planted has started to grow!!! Check out the pics below.

Cucumber and Green Onions

Corn and Butternut Squash (yum!)

Canteloupe, Summer Squash, Zucchini, Watermelon.

We also planted tomatoes, red onions, and yellow onions.

2 comments:

Allyson said...

Yes, I agree there were TONS of weeds. When I left my house, I told the kids I would be back in 15 min. Yea right....2 hours later I came home. I HATE WEEDS! Oh heavens. It was lovely to see my cute little plants though! Yours looks great. I love the popsicle sticks, great idea!

The Picketts said...

SERIOUSLY! Where did the weeds come from?! We stopped quickly to assess our "garden" on Saturday evening. It was too late to weed - so guess what we're doing for FHE? Yep - weeding! FUN TIMES! Glad your trip went well!